A visit to the ranch is both fun and educational. During winter months, a trip to Hardware Ranch WMA makes a great outing that will provide the whole family with the memorable experience of viewing wild Rocky Mountain elk up close. During the summer, Hardware Ranch WMA area provides great opportunities for outdoor recreation and wildlife viewing.
We're located 15 miles east of Hyrum, Utah, in Blacksmith Fork Canyon (see map). From Logan, Utah, travel south on State Road 165 to Hyrum, then east on Highway 101 to the ranch. Signs along the way will help lead you to the ranch. Check weather and road conditions before visiting; winter snowstorms can make the paved road slippery on the short drive up Blacksmith Fork Canyon. The road is usually plowed and sanded by noon after each snowstorm.
Directions to Hardware Ranch (from I-15 south):
- Travel north on I-15 to the Brigham City/Logan exit. This exits puts you on highway 89/91.
- Follow highway 89/91 about 17 miles over Sardine Canyon into Cache Valley.
- After you go through Sardine Canyon, turn right (east) at the Wellsville (Burger King) light. This puts you on State Road 101, you should see white state road 101 signs.
- Follow the white State Road 101 signs and brown Hardware Ranch signs through the city of Hyrum and up Blacksmith Fork Canyon. We are at the end of the road, about 18 miles up the Canyon and 22 miles from the light in Wellsville.
- Detailed directions through Hyrum City starting at the Wellsville light:
- Turn right at Wellsville/Burger King light (this is the junction to 101).
- Go east until you reach 400 W and then turn right.
- Follow this road heading south until you reach a 4-way stop, turn left onto Main Street.
- Travel east on Main Street until you reach the light on 800 E.
- Go through the light up Blacksmith Fork Canyon.
- You will travel up the canyon about 18 miles or 30–45 minutes depending on road conditions.
- Hardware is at the end of the paved state road.
If you're interested in hearing more information about Hardware Ranch WMA, please call us at (435) 753-6206 or (435) 753-6168. If you dial our phone number, you will hear recorded information updated with the latest news and conditions. For hours of operation, prices and activities, visit our Hours & activities page for additional information.