Salt Lake City Family Newsletter February 14, 2013
|Click here to receive our free weekly e-newsletter every Thursday morning!|
Salt Lake City Family Newsletter 2/14/13
There are TONS of FREE things to do on our calendar! Click here to find out about them!
Save the Date:
FRIDAY: February 16: Free Third Saturday Art Activity at UMFA: Torn Paper Landscapes at Utah Museum of Fine Arts.
February 18: Rapunzel, Rapunzel: A Very Hairy Fairy Tale at SCERA Center for the Arts. .
February 18: Museum Mondays at Museum of Ancient Life.
February 18: Presidents' Day Open Jump at The wAIRhouse Indoor Trampoline Park.
February 18: Family Art Night at Bountiful/Davis Art Center.
February 19: Utah Jazz vs Golden State Warriors at Utah Jazz.
February 19: Mummies of the World the Exhibition at The Leonardo at The Leonardo.
February 20: Two-for-One Night Skiing at Sundance at Sundance Resort.
March 1-2: Utah All Kids Sale at South Town Expo
March 2: Safe Kids Fair at South Towne Expo (KidsOutAndAbout will be there!)
Dear KidsOutAndAbout readers:
Last week, my 13-year-old daughter approached me with a confession: "You know, I kind of loathe it when you drag us to all of these art museums and things."
The "out and about" queen's daughter loathes being dragged to the art museum?!? Oy. It was a bit of a kick in the ego. (For you longtime readers who have suspected that maybe my kids were not just like yours in this regard, now you know.)
Now, give me credit for resisting the urge to argue with Madison right off the bat. I mean, loathe? Really? She also claims to loathe having dental instruments in her mouth, which seems perfectly reasonable. It felt to me that it would be a little strong to say one loathes a museum, though. (And I have proof that that she had a really good time doing this video about the Albright-Knox Gallery in Buffalo, NY.) But I did want to listen to what she had to say, because if my kid actually hated something legitimately, I probably wouldn't make her do it. (Much.) And of course, if she's not developmentally ready to get at least something out of an experience, it's better saved for later.
It turns out in this context that what Madison means by "loathes" is "bored by." And THAT is just ducky with me. Not that I don't work to make my kids' experiences relevant to them... I do my best to connect where they are at that moment to whatever we're looking at or doing. So it's not that I'd prefer that she be bored. But a little boredom is good for the soul. It spurs creative, active minds.
I'm concerned, sometimes, that growing up in this instant-gratification culture makes our kids crave constant stimuli. So being in a place where we can be quiet and plug in our minds is a good thing. Talking and talking with our kids about the stuff we're doing is also a good thing. Certainly better than handing them an iPhone to entertain them, right?
2) A Sampling of Weekend Activities in Salt Lake City:
Friday, February 15:
- Parents' Night Out - February 8, 15 & 22 at My Gym of Layton. Want a night out while your kids have fun? Bring them to My Gym for 4 hours of activities, dinner and zipline rides!
- Ballet West: Cinderella at Ballet West. Ballet West brings Cinderella to the stage of the Capitol Theatre. Advance purchase is highly recommended.
- Cosmic Skating at Utah Olympic Oval. Black lights and neon colors light up the ice for an evening of cosmic ice skating. Lasers, music, and a huge disco ball also set the mood.
- Doctor U at the Off Broadway Theatre at The Off Broadway Theatre. The OBT presents Doctor U, an original comedy based on the cult classic television show, Doctor Who.
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice at The Children's Theatre at The Children's Theatre. The Children's Theatre presents The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Advance ticket purchase is highly recommended.
- Ice Skating at the Gallivan Center's Outdoor Ice Rink at Gallivan Center. The Gallivan Center's outdoor ice skating rink is a downtown hot spot during the winter months. Bring your own skates or rent skates on-site. Snacks are available for purchase at the rink's concession stand.
- Utah Grizzlies vs Alaska Aces at Utah Grizzlies. The Utah Grizzlies take on the Alaska Aces at the Maverik Center.
- The LOVE Concert at Thanksgiving Point at Thanksgiving Point. Introducing the one thing you can't miss on Valentine's Weekend. Featuring Utah's best artists in music, comedy, voice, and dance.
- Monster Jam at EnergySolutions Arena. Monster Trucks pull in to the EnergySolutions Arena for Monster Jam.
Saturday, February 16:
- Mad Hatter's Tea Party at Treehouse Museum at Treehouse Museum. Saturday, February 16 from 6 until 8 p.m.
- Death by Chocolate Fiesta at Whitmore Library at Whitmore Library (Salt Lake County Library). Teens can enjoy chocolate-themed games, trivia, crafts, prizes, and more at Whitmore Library.
- Winter Farmers Market at Utah State Fairpark. The Utah State Fairpark hosts a winter farmers market in the Deseret Building.
- Kids' Mini Downhill at Solitude Mountain Resort at Solitude Mountain Resort . A friendly downhill ski competition for kids ages two to 14.
- Mummies of the World the Exhibition at The Leonardo at The Leonardo. This traveling exhibition makes its intermountain region debut at the Leonardo. Mummies of the World is the largest exhibition of real human and animal mummies and related artifacts ever assembled.
- The World of Puppetry Museum at Brigham City Fine Arts Center. The World of Puppetry Museum is open today at the Brigham City Fine Arts Center. Kids of all ages can learn about world culture as they see over 160 puppets from all over the world. Catch a Punch and Judy show at 3pm and a puppet story time at 4pm.
- Read with a Cat one Saturday per month at Chapman Library (Salt Lake City Public Library System). Children can curl up with a book and a cuddly cat as part of a program designed to encourage reluctant readers.
Sunday, February 17:
- World of the Wild Art Show at Hogle Zoo at Utah's Hogle Zoo. Hogle Zoo's annual World of the Wild Art Show features works of nature/animal-themed art created by Utah artists.
- Open Jump at the wAIRhouse Indoor Trampoline Park at The wAIRhouse Indoor Trampoline Park. Families can burn off some energy while bouncing at the wAIRhouse Indoor Trampoline Park. Jumpers pay by the hour; discounts apply after the first hour. Everyone must sign a waiver. Parents/guardians must sign waivers for children under 18.
Monday, February 18:
- Rapunzel, Rapunzel: A Very Hairy Fairy Tale at SCERA Center for the Arts. Rapunzel takes the stage in this SCERA musical production for families.
- Story Night at The Main Library (Salt Lake City Public Library System). The Main Library downtown presents a Monday evening storytime for families. Bilingual stories are featured on the first and third Monday of every month.
3) Win This Giveaway!
Drawing Thursday, February 28, 2013
To encourage parents and kids to reconnect with traditional plants, the folks at Classical Formulas and Our Green Neighbors blog are giving away a free set of seeds. The seeds included in this giveaway are:
Herbs (Culinary): Chives, Mixed Sweet & Thai Basil, Sweet Basil; Herbs (Medicinal): Plantain, Marshmallow, Mountain Mint, Elecampane, Catnip, Purple Coneflower, Borage (Blue & White), Lemon Balm, Chicory, Yellow Dock, Feverfew, Bee Balm, Balloon Flower, Selfheal, Common Milkweed, Calendula; Vegetables/Edible: Broccoli, Lettuce, Sunflower, Squash, Radish, Carrot, Tomato, Turnip. Included will be a few extra packs of extra-kid-friendly seeds such as peas, watermelon, mini-pumpkins, and beets!
To enter this free drawing, send your name, address, email, and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight February 28, 2013, with the subject KOA Seed Garden Drawing. Please include in your email if you wish to be added to the Classical Formulas mailing list to receive occasional communications from Classical Formulas about upcoming herbal education classes and events. (One entry per household and US recipients only.)
4) Birthday parties: Here's something you might like to accomplish during this first month of the year: Your child's birthday party. KidsOutAndAbout has a list of 114 creative places to have a birthday party in and around Salt Lake. Browsing through the list is a joy and will inspire you with all kinds of ideas. And think about how efficient you'll feel to have the initial planning done!
5) Indoor Play Centers: Speaking of birthday parties, most of the indoor play centers in our area have birthday parties. But there are a lot of other reasons to visit these great places! The most important is that your kids get active fun in the winter when the weather is too cold or nasty to stay outdoors for long. I bet there are some indoor play centers in our area that you've never heard of... click here for the KidsOutAndAbout big list of places to play indoors.
6) How to "Like" us more effectively
On the KidsOutAndAbout Facebook page, we often have interesting discussions, and that's where we announce giveaways first. Lots of you are signed up to get our Facebook posts, but recent Facebook changes mean they only show a few hundred of you any of our given posts... unless... you "like" us specially.
Here's how: If you go to our Facebook page, hover your mouse over the "Like" button. When you do, you'll see two lines: Show in News Feed, and Add to Interest List. Please make sure both are indicated. When you hit Add to Interest Lists, if you don't have any interest lists, you can just add a new one. How about calling it: Stuff to do with kids! That way you should be able to hear from us when we post. Thanks.
7) KidsOutAndAbout's five fictional families have a busy weekend this week! The Bravo Family, the Wall Family, the Woods Family, the Smart Family, and the Walker Family are our fictional families who take their kids to activities based on their particular interests. Here is what they are up to this weekend:
The Walker family focuses on health and physical fitness.
Friday: Cosmic Skating at Utah Olympic Oval
Saturday: Kids' Mini Downhill at Solitude Mountain Resort at Solitude Mountain Resort
Sunday: Open Jump at the wAIRhouse Indoor Trampoline Park at The wAIRhouse Indoor Trampoline Park
The Bravo Family loves the arts.
Friday: Ballet West: Cinderella at Ballet West
Saturday: The World of Puppetry Museum at Brigham City Fine Arts Center.
Sunday: Highlights of the Collection Tour at Utah Museum of Fine Arts
This is the Woods Family. They love nature and the great outdoors.
Friday: Penguin Encounter at The Living Planet Aquarium
Saturday: Half Price Admission to Red Butte Garden at Red Butte Garden
Sunday: IMAX: Hubble 3D at Clark Planetarium
The Smart family focuses on educational and cultural activities.
Friday: The LOVE Concert at Thanksgiving Point at Thanksgiving Point
Saturday: Mummies of the World the Exhibition at The Leonardo at The Leonardo
Sunday: Ballet West: Cinderella at Ballet West
The Wall Family prefers indoor activities.
Friday: Kids Gaming at The City Library- Chapman branch at Chapman Library (Salt Lake City Public Library System)
Saturday: Mad Hatter's Tea Party at Treehouse Museum at Treehouse Museum
Sunday: Perfect Little Planet: Showing in the Hansen Dome at the Clark Planetarium at Clark Planetarium
8) And here is your weekend, day by day for your convenience:
Friday, February 15
Saturday, February 16
Sunday, February 17
Have a wonderful weekend!
Mom of Madison (13) and Ella (11) - That's us below.